I’m Irish, of English parents. I was brought up as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, but am now an atheist. I remain fascinated by religion, both those similar to the one I left, and those very different, though I am more interested by the cultural context and the way people approach their beliefs than I am in the actual theology. (From this angle, Liberal Christianity and Liberal Islam are quite similar, and Conservative Christianity and Conservative Islam are quite similar.) Because I am interested in the social context and the interaction of religion and society, I often see religion at its worst, when it is trying to impose its rules on others, being intolerant and sometimes frankly bigoted. As an antidote, to remind myself that religious people are not necessarily evil, I hang around slacktivist (whose writings often attempt to answer the question, Why does the religious right tell lies all the time?) and The Slacktiverse (where people of many religious backgrounds have very civilised arguments, often about literature).
I might describe my own views as empirical materialist (see Tim Minchin: “Storm”), and my philosophy is probably secular humanist (see Tim Minchin: “White Wine in the Sun”).
Member for 8 years, 11 months
137 profile views
Last seen Jun 8 at 11:47
- Stack Overflow 8.8k 8.8k 55 gold badges4343 silver badges9595 bronze badges
- Meta Stack Exchange 6.8k 6.8k 11 gold badge2626 silver badges4747 bronze badges
- English Language & Usage 5.9k 5.9k 33 gold badges3939 silver badges5959 bronze badges
- Christianity 4.4k 4.4k 2626 silver badges5454 bronze badges
- Science Fiction & Fantasy 2.6k 2.6k 11 gold badge1818 silver badges3030 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 265 Correct mime type for .mp4
- 101 How to start a foreach loop at a specific index in PHP
- 50 Would Gollum qualify, as a Ringbearer, to go to the Undying Lands?
- 47 What word means a “male temptress”?
- 37 How long is a Welsh word?
- 35 Film about some dude who fell in love with a star (a literal stellar object)
- 35 Why did Thorongil warn Ecthelion against the White Wizard?
- View more network posts →