I’m Irish, of English parents. I was brought up as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, but am now an atheist. I remain fascinated by religion, both those similar to the one I left, and those very different, though I am more interested by the cultural context and the way people approach their beliefs than I am in the actual theology. (From this angle, Liberal Christianity and Liberal Islam are quite similar, and Conservative Christianity and Conservative Islam are quite similar.) Because I am interested in the social context and the interaction of religion and society, I often see religion at its worst, when it is trying to impose its rules on others, being intolerant and sometimes frankly bigoted. As an antidote, to remind myself that religious people are not necessarily evil, I hang around slacktivist (whose writings often attempt to answer the question, Why does the religious right tell lies all the time?) and The Slacktiverse (where people of many religious backgrounds have very civilised arguments, often about literature).
I might describe my own views as empirical materialist (see Tim Minchin: “Storm”), and my philosophy is probably secular humanist (see Tim Minchin: “White Wine in the Sun”).
Member for 9 years, 7 months
143 profile views
Last seen yesterday
- Stack Overflow 9.2k 9.2k 66 gold badges5050 silver badges9999 bronze badges
- Meta Stack Exchange 7k 7k 11 gold badge2727 silver badges4949 bronze badges
- English Language & Usage 6.1k 6.1k 33 gold badges4242 silver badges5959 bronze badges
- Christianity 4.4k 4.4k 2727 silver badges5656 bronze badges
- Science Fiction & Fantasy 2.7k 2.7k 11 gold badge1919 silver badges3232 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 284 Correct mime type for .mp4
- 104 How to start a foreach loop at a specific index in PHP
- 54 Would Gollum qualify, as a Ringbearer, to go to the Undying Lands?
- 47 What word means a “male temptress”?
- 38 How long is a Welsh word?
- 36 Why did Thorongil warn Ecthelion against the White Wizard?
- 35 Film about some dude who fell in love with a star (a literal stellar object)
- View more network posts →