This is an attempt to clarify what Christianity.SE is, as if it were to be a potential rewrite to the FAQ. It is NOT an approved FAQ. In fact, I may be [probably am?] wrong. I'm just trying to throw something out there to get some consensus about who and what we are, and what it is we might be.
Christianity.SE is an academic forum for the dissemination of scholarly knowledge about the tradition, doctrine, and practice of mainstream Christianity* as it has been practiced over the last two milennia and is practiced today.
It is a place
- to ask and answer questions about how recognized Christian groups have understood Christianity throughout the millenia
- to understand how Christians interpret and apply scripture, tradition, and reason to their daily experience
- to understand theological development and social implications of current and ancient practice
- to use scholarly analysis to identify how Christians "do" Christianity
- to improve your own understanding of Christianity by asking good questions and writing well-sourced, dispassionate, academic answers
It is not
- a ministry or even religious in nature
- a place to proseltyze or otherwise "convert" others to "your" point of view
- a place to work out or explain "your" theology, spirituality, or personal philosophy
- a place to get personal pastoral advice. If "you" are an integral part of the question or the answer, please seek a pastor or priest. We might be a spiritual Web.Md, but we definately aren't your local physician.
- a place to argue for the sake of argument
Like a good seminary, Christianity.SE is a place for unbiased, dispassionate, scholarly reflection, analysis, and understanding of what all kinds of Christians do.
*Note: Mainstream here is probably wider than you think.