On most stackexchange sites, a PM system doesn't make much sense. Since most questions on the other stackexchange sites that I've used (stackoverflow, superuser, security, unix, etc) pretty much have a single, general answer that can be given without too much opinion, religion is a completely separate thing.
I've come up with some site-specific pros/cons, and I'm looking for discussion about whether something like this would work on sites like christianity and others (philosophy, etc).
- People not familiar with a particular denomination/sect can ask questions about it (respectfully) where questions would not make much sense in a more general Q&A site
- It would help avoid tons of off-topic comments (see my question that shows this particular thing)
- Some discussions don't belong in comments, and would take longer to resolve than the discussion feature to resolve
- Possible abuse by users who just want to complain about something a user has said
- Users with a lot of reputation could get a lot of spam
- It would turn stackexchange into a socal platform instead of just a Q&A site
I personally think that it could be a nice feature. There could be a few modes that a user could choose between:
- Always disabled
- Enabled to whitelisted users
- Enabled to users with more than X reputation (total or local to that site)
- Enabled to all except those on a blacklist
I personally think it would be useful, but based on certain other similar requests, this does not seem likely to be implemented. Here are some similar requests: